Wednesday, March 07, 2018

Windows 10 with Ubuntu: Install error CanonicalGroupLimited.UbuntuonWindows cannot be found or cannot be accessed

CanonicalGroupLimited.UbuntuonWindows error message

On Windows 10 Enterprise build 1709 I installed the Windows Subsystem for Linux. Next I open the Microsoft Store and did a search for Ubuntu. That gave me the option to Launch which then triggered the install. The last step was a shell prompt asking me to setup a user and passphrase. After that I could use the Ubuntu command line shell (bash).

Later on, something went wrong and I stopped being able to use Ubuntu. I cannot remember for sure but I think I wanted to uninstall and reinstall. I removed the Windows Subsystem for Linux (control panel>add remove features>turn windows features on or off>Windows Subsystem for Linux - unchecked the box, clicked ok, and rebooted when prompted). I then put back the subsystem by going back and checking the box.

 After than, I went to the MS Store and tried to launch Ubuntu. I started getting the error about unable to access ...CanonicalGroupLimited.UbuntuonWindows... from C:\Program Files\WindowsApps. I tried many different recommendations to resolve this issue. I finally found something that worked.

 For me, going to the Start Menu on Windows and right clicking the Ubuntu tile and choosing uninstall seemed to remove the bits that were causing this issue. After uninstalling Ubuntu from there (it is not listed in the add remove programs list) I was able to go back to the store, launch, and it reinstalled successfully. Many of the issues described in this thread (and proposed solutions) did not work for me but the above steps did. I did not know about the uninstall by right clicking the tile in the Start Menu. I had thought that maybe there were leftovers in the registry or file system that made Windows think Ubuntu was fully installed when it was not. By being able to trigger the uninstall, that allowed Windows to reinstall and thereby fix the issue. I wanted to share this potential solution as so many other attempted solutions did not work.

The above steps may also work for the other Linux distros in the Microsoft Store, or possibly other MS Store installed apps.

BTW - some people have success by using the diagnostic/repair tool http://aka.ms/diag_apps10
It appears some temp file paths get changed and cause a breakage.  For me the repair tool did not work.

Also, the repair tool insisted UAC needed to be enabled for Ubuntu to work but that is not the case. The UAC is not required.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

The Interior Designer is a plans, researches, coordinates, and manages the projects. Interior design is a multifaceted profession that includes conceptual development, space planning, site inspections, programming, research, communicating with the stakeholders of a project, construction management, and execution of the design.

Interior Designers in OMR

spotify web player said...

Thanks for sharing these useful information! This is really interesting information for me.

can you write a 10 page paper in one day said...

Very good post. Thank you for the article.

College Paper Help said...

A very good article. Thanks to the author.

Misty said...

I'm personally a big fan of tobias-tobin blog. Thanks for sharing this post.
clipping path
clipping path service

JPNWEBSITE said...

besoek webwerf:One Piece
besoek webwerf:Lambang
besoek webwerf:Profil
besoek webwerf:TOP 7
besoek webwerf:Profil
besoek webwerf:One Piece
besoek webwerf:One Piece
besoek webwerf:One Piece

KSJWEBSITE said...

check article : One Piece: These 6 Events Happened in Elbaf?
check article : The Meaning Of The Symbol Of The Everton Club
check article : Biography Of Sindiswa Dlathu, As Thandaza Mokoena In Muvhango
check article : 7 Largest Snapper Producing Countries In The World
check article : 7 Largest Wheat Producing Countries In The World
check article : Biography Of Marius Weyers
check article : The History Of Brentford Football Club's Logo
check article : 5 Typical Foods Of Saudi Arabia, Perfect To Enjoy When Visiting

New beginner's guide to PowerShell on my GitHub page

 I created a beginner's guide to PowerShell here: https://github.com/aamjohns/Powershell_Guide/blob/main/README.md I hope it helps someo...