Thursday, November 08, 2007

HP's Vista systems and problems with their bundled crapware




It appears that some of the bundled crapware on HP Vista systems can cause a problem for some systems. In particular, individuals may get a pop-up blank window saying 'navigation cancelled' and having the time and date in the title bar.

The above error comes from a scheduled task for 'Internet Services offer'.

To stop this from happening go to Start>Control Panel>(here you may need to select to show classic view)>Administrative Tools>Task Scheduler. If you highlight Task Scheduler Library on the left, in the upper right you should see some tasks (possibly these):

ExtendedServicePlan
HP Health Check
ServicePlan

Right click the tasks and chose disable.

I believe one of the tasks listed above triggers the problem (two of the three are scheduled to run every 30 minutes).

Something else I found mentions it being related to one (or both) of these processes (.exes)

C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\SDP\RemEngine.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\SDP\hpsdpapp.exe

I'm fairly sure if you disable the three processes (or which ever one's you have) listed above, that window will stop popping up. But I am not positive (I only had the system I was working on for a while). I'm pretty sure I had the system up for well over a half hour after disabling the scheduled tasks mentioned above, and I did not get the pop-up window.

If you do get the pop-up window, and want to get it off the screen (since it does not have the option to close it), click the window once and then hit ALT and F4. Alt + F4 close the active window.

No comments:

New beginner's guide to PowerShell on my GitHub page

 I created a beginner's guide to PowerShell here: https://github.com/aamjohns/Powershell_Guide/blob/main/README.md I hope it helps someo...