Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Windows logon hangs at Other User Welcome message

 We had a newly setup server exhibit a very slow logon due to hanging at 'Other User Welcome' screen (for a minute or two).  I could not find anything related in the event logs.  I couldn't find anything relevant on the system to explain this hang.

I googled this issue and finally found something that worked.  The problem had to due with the server and Azure Active Directory.

I was able to fix the slow logon by running the elevated command: dsregcmd.exe /leave

Before disjoining it, if I ran the command dsregcmd.exe /status everything appeared normal to me and it appeared to be AAD joined.  I am not sure why leaving AAD resolves this slow logon issue but I wanted to document it in case this helps anyone else.

No comments:

New beginner's guide to PowerShell on my GitHub page

 I created a beginner's guide to PowerShell here: https://github.com/aamjohns/Powershell_Guide/blob/main/README.md I hope it helps someo...