Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Turning of the UAC in Vista

User Account Control can cause problems in some circumstances. In my case, I don't want it running on my Vista Media Center. Here is how to turn it off:
  1. Go to Start>Control Panel
  2. If you are using the default control panel view, click User Accounts>User Accounts
  3. If you are using the Classic view click User Accounts
  4. Uncheck the box next to Use User Acccount Control (UAC)...
  5. Click Ok
  6. Reboot.

Maybe you don't want to disable this if you surf the web and download a lot of programs. Knowing what is attempting to install could be a good thing. But on a specific purpose computer like a Media Center, the UAC can cause more problems then it is worth.

No comments:

New beginner's guide to PowerShell on my GitHub page

 I created a beginner's guide to PowerShell here: https://github.com/aamjohns/Powershell_Guide/blob/main/README.md I hope it helps someo...